To celebrate the opening of the Ayman and Sawsan Asfari Building, on September 6, 2022, the Asfari Institute for Civil Society and Citizenship organized landmark hybrid events which include keynote addresses by two stellar scholars and activists, Asfari Institute Senior Fellow, Dr. Maitrayee Mukhopadhyay, and AUB Assistant Professor of Psychology Dr. Vivienne Badaan.
We then presented our new collaboration with the renowned Gender and Development Journal in the presence of the journal’s co-editor, Dr. Shivani Satija. Following that, Ms. Hayma AlYousfi, General Programs Manager, presented the recently published report by our civil society partner, the Syrian Female Journalists Network. Both these conversations were moderated by our partner and Institute friend, Ms. Roula el Rifai, Senior Program Specialist at the International Development and Research Centre (IDRC).
Meet the speakers and moderator
- Roula El-Rifai is a Senior Program Specialist at the International Development and Research Centre (IDRC).
- Dr. Maitrayee Mukhopadhyay is a social anthropologist with more than four decades of solid global research, activism, writing, and community engagement experience in gender and development. She has contributed to the conceptual framing of the gender and development field worldwide and in leading groundbreaking research as well as building the capacities of young activists and researchers from the Global South.
- Dr. Vivienne Badaan is an Assistant Professor of Psychology at the American University of Beirut who received their Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Psychology from AUB, and their Ph.D. in Social Psychology from New York University.
- Dr. Shivani Satija is the Co-Editor of the Gender and Development Journal.
- Hayma AlYousfi is the General Program Manager at the Syrian Feminist Journalist Network (SFJN).
Watch the full recordings here: